Leftover from the Great Gatsby: notes for myself

Even though the Great Gatsby was a hard book to understand at times I'm glad that I read it completely. One thing that I want to remember before going into writing this is essay was the symbol of the green light at the beginning of the story. When we first mad a prediction about the meaning of this green light I guessed pretty close to the intended purpose. I initially believed that this light symbolized something Gatsby wanted and could reach out to get since it was right there in front of him (and you know green in most cases symbolizes "go") but was to scared to do anything about it. I think this symbolization became really important at the end of this story because it was exactly what happened throughout the book. Gatsby wanted Daisy and even though she was right there, literally they lived across a lake from one another, Gatsby was too scared to reach out himself to do anything and the whole plot escalated because of the base of this conflict. This is why the green light is also a very significant part to this book.

Comments

Popular Posts